Scooting around Skeeter Farm! (and a kick for local eating)

6-months since my last blog post. Unacceptable, I know. The next few days, however, will be my attempt to document the past months in installments separated as I see appropriate. And so it begins...or continues...

Returning to my roots (my Farmer's Market @ Queens roots), I had the pleasure of working for a day at the beautiful Skeeter Farm for a day back at the end of October. Yes, this was over 6 months ago-YIKES! Skeeter Farm is a veggie farm that supplies fresh veggies through farmer's markets and a community supported agriculture (CSA) program (which I am now a proud new member!!).

What is a CSA? (Read this paragraph if you want to know!)
A CSA consists of a community of individuals who pledge support to a farming operation where the growers and consumers share the risks and benefits of food production. CSA's usually consist of a system of weekly delivery or pick-up of vegetables and fruit, in a vegetable box scheme and sometimes includes dairy products and meat. If you are reading this in Eastern Ontario, there are lots of CSAs in the area. Try this link to find a farm near you! Most CSAs are usually sold out by this time of year, but you can start reading for next year :)--
CSA Farms Ontario

Annnyway, Amy and Mykol picked me up in the Ford Ranger at the break of dawn (8 am- tough life, right?) with tea and coffee in hand. We made the hour and a half drive east to farm country- Chilliwack. Beautiful drive! 

It was a crisp and sunny day outside and we spent it picking turnips, beans, many different kinds of squash, kale, and broccoli. Chilly morning, but it warmed up as the day went on. Amy had on her coveralls and M and I dressed for work- because, well, we worked!! No complaints on this end, though. Not only were we well fed by kale chips, homemade pickles, and grilled cheeses at the end of the day, but also got to take home some beautiful green and purple beans!!

Being out on the farm that day reminded me of going to my Grandpa's farm digging for potatoes, and picking cucumbers and onions. More recently, it reminds me of helping my Dad and Mom in their gardens as we got older. Lucky that we know where our veggies come from!

Kale in the top left corner, squash below it, and lots of green and purple (yes, purple!) beans. The best part about working on a veggie farm is that the volunteers are well fed!
Beautiful, yummy squash!
View of Skeeter Farm. Hoop-house in the background with the veggies in the forefront. Not a bad view!
All in all, we had a great day out on the farm. Thanks to Amy and Skeeter Farm for letting me come out to help! Since I visited Skeeter Farm in October, the farm has moved to improved land and fewer partners. I will no doubt be out to help Amy out this spring/summer and will keep you posted on the beautiful sandy soil that Yarrow boasts (not to mention the yummy veggies)!
P.S. I recently started my very first herb garden in a mini peat green house (thanks Kevin and Sandy) ! They already have sprouts and will also keep you posted on the progress of my thyme, garlic chives, rosemary, basil, and, dill (for now!). YUM!
My little herb green house. In the second column you can kind of see thyme sprouts poking out!! Hooray! I'm guided by the handy Herb Gardening for Canada book :) .

Comments

Popular Posts