Pictures!!


Here are some back-logged pictures from my time in BC so far. Sorry this took so long but I finally got them uploaded on my computer from my camera!

The following pictures fit in with what I have already written about, but I will put captions so you can kind of follow along! I start with Mom and I setting up the apartment, then go onto my field trip, then mushroom picking.

BEFORE SCHOOL: The pool outside my building. Sadly it is now closed until next year.

Mom and I when all I had was a kitchen table!

A sample of some of the cards I brought with me from all you wonderful people!
Mom and I went to see Granville Island for an afternoon- such a fun place (kind of like Merrickville except with way more people)

Totem pole carving on Granville Island.


Mom and I on the Granville Island Bridge.

Mom at the waterfront downtown Vancouver

Furniture -putting- together party! Woot!

My friend Steve who I know from my undergrad came over to help. We fed him and made sure he was never thirsty heehee.

Magical forest near my friend's (from above) previous apartment.

More magical forest!

and more!

This one is my fave!

Steve and I! Night on the town!
Lola came to visit for a few days! She was working in Northern BC as a geologist at a remote exploration camp and stopped in Vancouver on her time out.

REM ORIENTATION TRIP: This is a picture from my field trip at the first night "Lac Le Jeune". View from our cabin in the evening.

Jenna and I went swimming. BRR!

Before the Jump!


SPLASH! It was SO cold!

My classmate Luke sliding (literally) into the water!

Sunrise view from our cabin at Lac Le Jeune. Yes we were up that early.

This dream catcher made its way into our van. (Recall these are 12-seater huge white vans packed full with keen REM first years).

Our group at the archaeological site near Kamloops, BC. We are standing around a "house pit", the foundation for old homesteads that go back thousands of years.

View from a ridge of the site. Each circle represents an old home.

We stopped just before Lilooet to take in the breathtaking view.

BACK TO LIFE: after the field trip, we do a lot of socializing :) Celebrating Amy's birthday on Commercial Drive. Commercial Drive is a funky/hipster (though I hate that word) area of town with lots of second hand clothing stores, delicious restaurants and unique bars. A lot of REM students live in this area as it is not far from DT Vancouver, but not that far from school, either.

CHANTERELLE MUSHROOM PICKING- Here starts the beginning of my series of Chanterelle mushroom picking pictures. Yes, there was a bucket of Lucky Lager Beer in the back of the van. Awesome?

Samantha (our trusty driver) and I before we get into the wild.

WE FOUND SOME (well, mostly not me, but I took a lot of pictures).

Sneaky little guys. The mushrooms are often hidden like this under brush or tucked away near moss. Although I have not yet acquired the pattern thought (is this embedded enough? for you 601 kids reading this) to find these delicious treats, under douglas fir trees and along creek beds are two indicators of potential Chanterelle territory- just so you know I bet this criteria covered about 90% of our hiking. Our fearless leader seemed to gravitate towards these areas without realizing it and found huge patches!

I think I actually found this one! (maybe).

Everything was so green! It was beautiful.

We found this little salamander cutie during our mushroom hunt!
We also found lots of these not so cute slugs. Samantha even picked one up. Ew.

Samantha and her Chanterelle bucket and Chanterelles


I ACTUALLY found this one. (I think).

View of the Bunzten lake at the end of a long day. I dunked my feet in, but Samantha and the other two we were with went swimming! BRR.
Stay tuned for what I have been up to lately! I have been neglecting the blog-age due to copious amounts of school-work, but will make it worth your while! PROMISE!

xox
A.

Comments

Popular Posts